Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lots To Do




















I am officially exhausted! I have run so hard that a barely have time to get a drink, go to the bathroom, etc. I know I am needed here. Wendy keeps telling me that the therapy tools, talks and modeling is a help. I feel just drained. I am either in the therapy room, preschool, toddler room, or out on home visits. I am so tired, I can't even remember what I did yesterday without looking at pictures! Yikes.

Yesterday, I observed a group of three girls doing speech. The therapist and assistant are doing a wonderful job. I worked with a new little one named Lucy. She has hydrocephalus. All they have heard from her up to this point was some vowels and the “m” sound. It was wonderful to hear her imitate three words during our session. Later in the day, I went to the Healing Home to observe the little ones there.

I spoke during Dr Jean's lecture to the nannies about cleft palate babies. I shared how we learned to feed Lydia and gave them suggestions for bottle positioning. Dr Jean lectured on ear infections and we were able to give the nurse here the otoscopes to train on how to detect ear infections.

I also was in the English school yesterday. They were playing Brain Quest and they had us speak the stories to them so that they could hear our dialects and practice.

Sarah has been as busy. She works in the mornings with the babies and in the afternoons in the preschool. She has been loving on them so well!

Today, I spent the morning training the therapist on oral motor exercises and an augmentative/picture board communication system. The therapists and I then went to the Forever Family Home to observe a nonverbal little girl there, Jenna. She is dear and has been thru so much. An American couple is loving and caring for 4 older girls along with their two biological children. We looked at family routine and environment and they are going to see how best to develop a plan to use this picture board I was able to get donated.

This afternoon, we went to see 5 children in their foster homes. It was a wonderful to bring the children and families gifts. And we couldn’t resist doing a little therapy while we were there! We got little Eliana to do her first sign! She got a stuffed animal that made music when you pushed it. She loved it and so when the music stopped, we got her do to the sign for “want”! The family was so excited to see her to this! A special moment.

I need to go! Dinner is over....

No comments:

Post a Comment